Ten tips to beat the heat with Silentnight
We all know a good night's sleep is important, we need this rest in order to process information throughout the day and also to repair and rebalance the body, both physically and mentally. It can become stressful when you're unable to keep cool in bed, making it even harder to drift off and then to stay asleep.
Our Silentnight sleep expert Dr Nerina Ramlakhan advises that in order for us to sleep well, there needs to be a "fractional temperature difference between our body and brain" - in other words, 'a warm body and a cool head!'
With these ten tips from sleep expert Dr Nerina, keep cool and get a great night's sleep in the heat:
1. Keep a plant mister containing water by your bed to spray on your face during the night
2. Stop your bedroom over-heating during the day by keeping curtains and blinds closed
3. Wash your feet with cold water before getting into bed, and/or run your wrists under cold water
4. Place a wet flannel in the fridge for an hour or so before getting into bed and lay it on your forehead to help you drift off to sleep
5. Sleep in cool wet socks or even a damp T-shirt
6. Use a fan and place it so that it is blowing the air over a tray of ice - this will cool the room down as the ice melts
7. Use light bed sheets and a summer duvet - such as Silentnight Cool Summer 4.5 tog Hollowfibre Duvet
8. Try a Geltex mattress from Silentnight, the open cell structure for the gel infused foam top ensures the mattress remains breathable, keeping you cool in summer and warm in winter
9. Chill your pillow case in the freezer before getting into bed
10. Finally, and most importantly stay well hydrated during the day and don't fret too much if you can't sleep. Use the time to rest and think positive thoughts, then you will be extra productive the day after!