We are in the middle of a heatwave, which means plenty of
sunshine for us all to enjoy! When the sun goes down though,
getting to sleep in these warmer temperatures can be really
We all know a good night's sleep is important, we need this rest
in order to process information throughout the day and also to
repair and rebalance the body both physically and mentally. It can
become stressful when lying in bed unable to keep cool, making it
even harder to drift off and then stay asleep.
Our Silentnight sleep expert, Dr Nerina Ramlakhan, advises that
in order for us to sleep well, there needs to be a "fractional
temperature difference between our body and brain" - in other
words, "a warm body and a cool head!"
To help with this she created a list of 5 top tips that will
help to keep the nation cool in the hot and humid weather:
- Stop your bedroom over-heating during the day by keeping
curtains and blinds closed.
- Wash your feet with cold water before getting into bed, and run
your wrists under cold water.
- Use light bed sheets and a summer duvet - 4.5 Tog
- Try a Geltex mattress from Silentnight, with an innovative
combination of an extremely elastic gel and air-permeable foam
offering unparalleled breathability to prevent the body from
- Finally, it is essential to stay well hydrated during the day
and most importantly, don't fret too much if you can't sleep. Use
the time to rest and think positive thoughts to help you be extra
productive the next day