If you feel your mattress is in need of a re-fresh, whether as part of an annual spring clean or you’re just keeping on top of your household jobs, we’ve got some tips to help you give your mattress that ‘brand-new’ feeling.
If you have a Silentnight mattress, we don’t recommend any vigorous cleaning methods, as any harsh chemical products or heavy moisture may damage the fabric and stitching that make up your lovingly handmade mattress.
Cleaning your mattress
However, there are a few ways we recommend to tackle any dirt or stains:
- For stains on your mattress, we recommend dabbing the stain with a very diluted solution of washing liquid. Try not to wet the mattress too much, and always allow the mattress to air dry before replacing your bedding
- For any dirt or dust that’s gathered on your mattress, simply hoover the topside of your mattress. If you have a double-sided mattress, flip it over and hoover that side too to remove any hidden dust mites or nasties
Keeping your mattress clean
Now your mattress is clean again, you want to keep it that way! Follow these simple steps to keep your mattress fresher for longer:
- Always use a mattress protector. They do what they say on the tin – they’re designed to provide an extra layer of protection for your mattress. Check out our Anti-Allergy Mattress Protector, which offers protection against bacteria and dust-mites and is approved by the British Allergy Foundation, too
- Air your mattress in the mornings. Before you make your bed first thing in the morning (we won’t judge if it’s more like lunchtime…) keep your duvet peeled back for 20 minutes or so to let the mattress air out from any moisture
- Open your windows. To help with airing your mattress, leaving the window open in the morning will increase ventilation in your bedroom and speed up the evaporation of moisture from your bed
- Wash your bedding regularly. Washing your bedsheets, duvet covers and pillowcases will help keep your mattress clean. Make sure you wash them on a high heat to kill all germs or dust mites
We all know and love that ‘new mattress’ feeling, so follow these above steps to keep it feeling fresh for much longer. If your old mattress is starting to feel like its days are numbered, we’ve got a mattress for every type of sleeper – check out our full mattress range here